Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Ipsy Review: August - Beauty Schooled

Ello lovelies!

I have a second post for you guys today! This one is a bit different though because it's not nail polish related. Hey, Darling Polish is still a nail polish/nail art focused blog but I might start branching out into some other kinds of reviews. I'm a big fan of make-up and different beauty products and recently signed up for Ipsy, so I figured that I would review the bags here for you guys!

Let's get to the August bag!



hey, darling polish, ipsy, make up, subscription

I'll start the review off with the Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk. I just started using dry shampoo recently and have cut down how often I shampoo all of my hair from everyday to once or twice a week, I still get my hair wet everyday and shampoo my bangs. I used this a few times after the third or fourth day of no shampoo. I applied it by lifting up different sections of my hair and spraying it towards my roots. I didn't really see a difference between this and the Batiste dry shampoo that I use, so I'll use this until it's empty but probably wouldn't repurchase it. 

hey, darling polish, ipsy, make up, subscription

Next up is Manna Kadar's Sheer Glo Shimmer Lotion. Truthfully, I don't really know what this is or how to apply it. It says to mix with foundation or wear alone but my skin is very acne-prone and I have to wear a heavier foundation to hide the discoloration on my cheeks. I tried applying this like a highlighter over my foundation but didn't really notice a difference. I'll try playing with this more but I think this is a miss for me.

hey, darling polish, ipsy, make up, subscription

Next is Jersey Shore Sun's Mongongo Lip Conditioner. This is a decent chapstick that smells a lot like lemons, like the Burt Bee's Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream (see this is still a little bit nail polish related!). I'm pretty loyal to Burt Bee's Beeswax Lip Balm so this hasn't been getting much use, but I have a habit of losing chapstick so this will get it's turn eventually.

hey, darling polish, ipsy, make up, subscription

Next, I have a Coastal Scent's Eye Shadow Sample (Set 23). The names of each shadow are: (top row L-R) Persian Pink and Baby Pink, (bottom row L-R) Pink Silver and Icelandic. I've never tried this brand before but the shadows all apply pretty well and they were decently pigmented on their own. I like that the sample had the names of each shadow on the back. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of the colors. I don't wear pink eyeshadow and normally reach for browns or golds, but I'll find a use for these!

hey, darling polish, ipsy, make up, subscription

Lastly, I have Urban Decay's 24/7 Velvet Eye Pencil in the color Plushie. Now I was happy to see this in my bag! I've always loved Urban Decay but from a distance, their products are a bit expensive for a college kid who doesn't work during the school year....and I mean, that's less nail polish money! But this eyeshadow was really nice to apply and it lasts for quite a while. My only issue with it is that I don't wear pencil eyeliner, I like gel or the liquid marker eyeliners, so I couldn't get a cat eye with this but it's a gorgeous color and I'll still use it!

Here are some swatches done on the back of my hand aka an awkward photo of the back of my hand that you never see:

I don't know if that photo is helpful, but I know beauty bloggers do it so I did it too haha! Let's remember that I blog about nail polish (: For my first Ipsy bag, I wasn't super impressed but I liked being able to try a bunch of different things and for $10, I'm not complaining. If you're interested in joining, I have a referral link that you can use: here.

Hopefully you guys enjoyed this post and won't mind them every once in a while!

-Marisa! (:







7 comments:

  1. The lip balm and eye liner looks nice. Nice bag for the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a pretty nice bag too. I was excited that I got UD Perversion liner which I have been wanting to add to my UD Collection. I really like that lip balm, but the scent can be aggressive and I realized it was making my drink taste funny. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that eyeliner, you can always smudge it out for a smoky look instead of doing a cateye *winks*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are probably the two products that are getting the most use for me haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I definitely agree that it was a decent bag! I need to grow my Urban Decay collection haha, I think I have like 2 things. Oh man, I haven't even noticed what the lip balm tastes like haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I could but I've been wearing cateye liner for years! Ever since I started wearing make-up, I've done a cateye. I don't think I could change it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the same stuff in my ipsy bag (also my first), but my eyeshadows were light and dark green, white and black. I thought they were nice in texture and pigment, but like you with yours, I don't wear those colors, really, but I'll try. I do like the idea of trying things I normally wouldn't. I'm a Burt's Bees fan, myself, but I've used the lip balm more than the other stuff in this bag. It's super soft and seems to last forever! I also didn't know what to do with the shimmer until I went to review the items and I realized it was a face shimmer. Not something I typically use, but it is a nice subtle shimmer.

    ReplyDelete